Bradley F. Bale, MD co-founded the BaleDoneen Method and the Heart Attack & Stroke Prevention Center. He is a principal instructor in the BaleDoneen Method, training other medical providers across the country. He has a private clinical practice in Nashville, Tennessee. He also serves as the medical director of the Heart Health Program for Grace Clinic in Lubbock, Texas.
Dr. Bale is medical director of the Heart Health Program at Grace Clinic in Lubbock, Texas and cofounder of the BaleDoneen Method international preceptorship program, an accredited continuing medical education (CME) course teaching health care providers advanced techniques to detect—and reverse—CVD before the patient suffers a heart attack or stroke. Hundreds of MDs have completed the training, some of whom subsequently opened their own prevention clinics, hailing the course “an incredible resource…the future of medicine,” “the best, by far, educational program I have ever attended,” and “the education of a lifetime…the only totally comprehensive program in the world for the prevention of this disease.”
For more than 30 years, Dr. Bale maintained one of the largest primary care practices in Spokane, Washington, where he cofounded the Heart Attack Prevention Clinic with Amy Doneen, MSN, ARNP in 2003—one of the first such facilities in the US. (It’s now called the Heart Attack & Stroke Prevention Center). Convinced that standard methods of cardiac care weren’t doing enough to identify early stages of CVD and avert recurrences in heart attack and stroke survivors, he cofounded the BaleDoneen Method of personalized risk assessment and disease management in 2001. Of the 3,500 patients he’s treated with the method—including many physicians with CVD—only one had a heart attack, from which the patient made a full recovery. None of them suffered strokes.
A sought-after speaker and educator, Dr. Bale is co-chair of Berkeley Heartlab’s national five-hour CVD prevention course, which he will present in 18 cities from coast to coast this year. He made a similar tour last year, and in 2008, he lectured in 20 cities as co-chair of a national CME program on lipids and CVD. Dr. Bale has presented study abstracts at the 2009 American Heart Association meeting, the 2009 International Atherosclerosis Society meeting, the 2007 European Atherosclerosis Society Meeting, the 2005 American Heart Association conference on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, and many others.
His research on CVD prevention has been published in such respected medical journals as the American Heart Association’s Circulation, Atherosclerosis, the official journal of the European Atherosclerosis Society, Post Graduate Medicine, Journal of National Medical Association, Journal of Clinical Lipidology, Physician’s Weekly, and Journal of Clinical Lipidology, ADVANCE for Administrators of the Laboratory and ADVANCE for Healthy Aging. He has also served as a reviewer for American Journal of Cardiology, a consultant to deCODE Genetics and Cleveland HeartLab, and is on the speakers’ bureaus for Takeda, diaDexus and Berkeley HeartLab.
Dr. Bale is a clinical assistant professor, School of Medicine, Texas Tech Health Sciences Center and an adjunct professor at Texas Tech’s School of Nursing. He received his Doctor of Medicine degree from University of Kentucky and his Bachelor of Arts in biochemistry from Lawrence University. He was board-certified in family medicine in 1978 and is a member of American Heart Association, American Stroke Association, American Diabetes Association, American Lipid Association, Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, Society of Atherosclerosis Imaging and Prevention and other medical societies. He has participated in numerous Grand Round and CME presentations and spoken at many major medical conferences.
Heart Attack, Stroke and Diabetes Prevention Specialist
1002 Montrose Drive
Gallatin, TN 37066
Office: (509) 951-9348
Fax: (615) 206-8466
Cell: (509) 951-9346
Director of the Heart Health Program – Grace Clinic
4515 Marsha Sharp Freeway
Lubbock, TX 79407
Professional Positions and Education:
- Co-founder of the BaleDoneen Method international preceptorship program (A 17.5 hour CME program of CV prevention)
- Assistant Professor Texas Tech Medical School; 2007-2012
- Adjunct Professor Texas Tech School of Nursing; 2009-present
- Medical Director of Heart Health Program, Grace Clinic, Lubbock, Texas
- Member AHA, NLA, SAIP and ADA
- Editorial board of medical journal: Healthcare in Low-resource Settings
- Reviewer for American Journal of Cardiology, Preventing Chronic Disease and British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research.
- Consultant to Cleveland HeartLab
- SPEX – passed June, 2006
- Founder of Heart Attack Prevention Clinic; Spokane, WA; 2003- 2006
- Bradley F. Bale Family Practice; Spokane, WA; 1975 – 2004
- Board Certified, Family Practice; 1978
- Diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners; 1975
- Rotating internship; Sacred Heart Medical Center; Spokane, WA 1974 –1975
- Doctor of Medicine Degree; University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY June, 1974
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Bio-chemistry; Lawrence University; June, 1970
Abstract Presentations and Publications:
- Effect of comprehensive cardiovascular disease risk management on longitudinal changes in carotid artery intima-media thickness in a community-based prevention clinic. Archives of Medical Science In Press.
- Beat the Heart Attack Gene. John Wiley Press. February, 2014.
- 8-Year Outcomes of a Program for Early Prevention of Cardiovascular Events: A Growth-Curve Analysis. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2014.
- A Guarantee of Arterial Wellness: New Era of Cardiovascular Medicine. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Cardiology. May, 2014
- Autophagy, Senescence, and Arterial Inflammation: Relationship to Arterial Health and Longevity. Altern Ther Health Med. 7/8, 2013;19(4):8-10.
- Carotid intima-media thickness testing as an asymptomatic cardiovascular disease identifier and method for making therapeutic decisions. Postgrad Med. 2013 Mar;125(2):108-23. doi: 10.3810/pgm.2013.03.2645
- Independent Effects of Risk Factors and Treatment on Carotid Intima-Media Thickness Progression in a Community Practice. Poster Presentation AHA Scientific Sessions, LA, CA 11/2012
- Inculpatory Evidence: Periodontal Disease Assessment and Treatment Is an Essential Element in Cardiovascular Wellness Programs. Dental Economics 2012
- Clinician Perspective on the Benefits of Niacin Therapy for the Treatment of Dyslipidemia and Strategies to Improve Long-Term Adherence to Therapy; The Medical Roundtable, Fall 2011, Issue 4
- A1c Should Not Be Used Alone to Diagnosis Individuals at Risk of Becoming Diabetic. Accepted for Presentation – 4th International Congress on Prediabetes and Metabolic Syndrome; Madrid, Spain April 20, 2011
- Carotid IMT Testing: A Clinical Perspective. Post Graduate Medicine. Jan. 2010. Volume 122, Issue 1
- Optimizing hypertension management in underserved rural populations. Journal of National Medical Association. Jan. 2010. Volume 102, NO. 1:10-17
- The identification of occult cardiovascular disease through the use of a novel biomarker: a case report. Journal of Clinical Lipidology, Oct. 2009.
- Women’s World 5,2009. Reduce your risk of ‘secret’ strokes!
- ‘In My Opinion’ August 31,2009, Physician’s Weekly XXVI Issue No. 33. Markers of Arterial Inflammation
- Cover story in July 2009 edition of ADVANCE for Administrators of the Laboratory, titled, “Arterial Inflammation Biomarkers”- Link to the Web site article: http://laboratory-manager.advanceweb.com/Article/Arterial-Inflammation-Biomarkers.aspx
- Abstracts presented at the IAS meeting in Boston 6/2009
– INSULIN RESISTANCE IN NON- DIABETIC SUBJECTS PREDICTS CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE OR CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE EQUIVALENCE
- Orally presented by Amy Doneen, ARNP – PATIENTS WITH ATHEROSCLEROSIS MISSED BY FRAMINGHAM 10- YEAR RISK SCORING
- “Uncovering Hidden Cardiovascular Disease” appears in the May/June edition of Advance for Healthy Aging : http://healthy-aging.advanceweb.com/Article/Uncovering-Hidden-Cardiovascular-Disease.aspx
- Article on inflammation posted on CheckMD: http://www.checkmd.com/index.php/checkmd-blog/Inflammatory-markersa-the-new-cholesterol-.html
- The Prevalence of Elevated Lipoprotein Associated Phospholipase A2 Mass Among Persons at Low Risk of CHD by Traditional Framingham Risk Factors AHA meeting Palm Habor, Florida March 2009 Circulation
- EFFECT OF AGGRESSIVE CV RISK FACTOR MANAGEMENT ON LIPOPROTEINS AND CAROTID INTIMA-MEDIA THICKNESS IN PATIENTS WITH METABOLIC SYNDROME European Atherosclerosis Society meeting in Helsinki, Finland June 2007
- Carotid Intima-media thickness augments Framingham scoring in assessing CV risk in metabolic syndrome patients European Atherosclerosis Society meeting Helsinki, Finland 2007
- Aggressive risk factor modification in patients with sub-clinical atherosclerosis reduces plaque burden and regresses carotid artery wall thickness. Bale BF, Doneen AL, Drueding R, Charland SL. Atherosclerosis 2006;7(3):161
- Carotid intima-media thickness testing identifies at risk patients missed by Framingham 10-year risk scoring. Doneen AL, Bale BF, Charland SL, Smith TF. Atherosclerosis 2006;7(3):324
- Effectiveness of Multiple Interventions on Carotid Artery Atherosclerosis in a Clinical Setting American Heart Association on April 28, 2005, at the 6th Annual Conference on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology in Washington, D.C.
- Co-author of CME 5.5 hr. Cardiovascular Genetics ongoing online course May 2016.
- Co-author and Activity Medical Director for ongoing 6.25 hr. CME and CE program: Creating Optimal Health: Integration of Medicine & Dentistry. Sponsored by U of TN Medical and Dental Schools.
- Co-author ongoing live national program: BaleDoneen Method Ethics Course.
- Co-author of ongoing live national 5 hour CME program: BaleDoneen Method Highlighting Inflammatory Testing for the Reduction of Cardiovascular Events.
- Co-author of ongoing live national 17 hour CME program: The BaleDoneen Method: Paradigm Shift in CVD Prevention.
- CME lecture to Illinois State Medical Society House of Delegates Springfield, Ill 4/16/2016
- Speaker at Ohio Seattle Study Club Cincinnati, Ohio 3/18/2016
- National Webinar for Institute of Arteriology 11/20/2015
- Key Note speaker LANAP Millennium Dental meeting 11/14/2015
- Didactic Lecture U. of KY College of Medicine 10/30/2015
- Guest speaker AAOSH Dallas, TX 9/20/2015
- Key note speaker International Clinical and Experimental Cardiology Conference. San Antonio, TX 04/14/2014.
- Key note speaker International Academy of Biological Dentistry and Medicine. Houston, TX 10/12/2013
- Guest speaker 2013 AOA Public Health Seminar. Las Vegas, NV 9/30/2013.
- Guest speaker AAOSH Las Vegas, NV 9/21/2013.
- Guest speaker Annual Florida Endocrine Society Meeting. Orlando, FL 8/10/2013.
- Key note speaker Delta Dental futureFOCUS seminar. Saint Louis, MO 4/24/2013.
- Guest speaker 21st Annual World Congress on Anti-aging and Regenerative Medicine. Orlando, FL 4/13/2013.
- Key Note speaker. American Academy of Dental Practice Administration Annual Meeting at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada, March 6 – 9, 2013
- Guest speaker North Carolina Academy of Family Physicians Asheville, NC 12/2012.
- Guest speaker University of Nevada School of Medicine Annual Diabetes Conference, Reno, NV, September 7, 2012.
- Key note speaker at 1st Annual American Academy of Oral Systemic Health, Chicago, Ill. 6/2011
- Guest speaker at National FPDO Society meeting in San Antonio, TX 2/2011
- Guest speaker at University of Nevada School of Medicine Annual Diabetes Conference, Reno, NV, September 17, 2010.
- Guest speaker at Cleveland Heart Lab’s Annual Symposium:
Where Inflammation Meets Lipids, Cleveland, Ohio, August 15, 2010
- Guest on the Huckabee Show, FOX TV ‘Genetics and Medicine’, NY,NY August 2010
- Guest speaker for two lectures –18th Annual Medical Education Conference , South Padre Island, April 1st-2nd, 2010
- Guest speaker at TOMA – TXACOFP Annual Meeting, Fort Worth, Texas, June 17th, 2010
- Co-chair of 5hr. Prevention Course for Berkeley Heart Lab – 18 city tour. 2/10-12/10
- Co-chair of 5hr. Prevention Course for Berkeley Heart Lab – 18 city tour. 2/09-12/09
- Speaker at Texas Annual DO meeting Dallas 2/09
- Grand Rounds at Queen of the Valley Hospital, Napa Valley, CA 12/5/2008
- Guest speaker at the National DO Society meeting, Las Vegas, NV 10/26/2008
- Panel member of International Roundtable regarding CIMT, Washington, DC
September 25, 2008
- Panel member on Larry King Cardiac Foundation’s program regarding sudden cardiac death, Chicago, Ill 9/22/2008
- Guest speaker at the AACE 2008 Post Graduate Update, Palm Beach, Florida 8/2008
- Co-chairman of a National five hour CME program addressing the Residual Lipid Risk in CVD – 20 city tour for 2008
- Plenary Speaker at the Texas Tech Center for CVD and Stroke Conference
August 29, 2007
- Speaker at the Cardiology Round-up in Santa Fe, NM May, 2007
- Speaker at National Lipid Assoc. meeting San Diego, CA 1/21/2007
- Guest speaker at Sierra Heart Institute’s Cardiology update meeting November 2006
- April 2005 Speaker for “Rocky Mountain Metabolic Syndrome Symposium” sponsored by the University of Colorado School of Medicine
- 2004 Joint CME presentations with Lance Gould, M.D. titled “Preventing Heart Attacks is Better”
- 2004 Speaker for “Traveling Faculty” meetings for Puerto Rican Society of Cardiology
- Faculty member for national teleconference entitled, “Optimizing Care for the Patient at Risk for CHD” 2004
- 2002 to present over six hundred national promotional presentations
- Speaker’s bureau for: Abbott, Takeda, diaDexus, Berkeley Heart Lab
News Stories and Interviews:
- Too numerous to mention since book published
- heartattackzone.com – TV interviews on ABC and Fox
- June 27, 2005 article Woman Thinks of Attack as Start of Second Chance, Spokesman-Review Newspaper, spokesmanreview.com
- June 27, 2005 article Clinic Helps People Avoid Heart Attacks, Spokesman-Review Newspaper; spokesmanreview.com
- 2, 20004, issue Spokane Business Journal, “Heart Attack Prevention Clinic Continues to Grow”, www.spokanejournal.com
- heartattackzone.com ;see June 16, 2003, issue Spokane Business Journal, “Heart Attack Prevention Clinic Opens Here”